W.O.W. ~ WORDS OF WISDOM!!!
"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." ~Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.




Monday, January 31, 2011

LOVE...Unconditional!!!

I absolutely love having a newborn!!! At this phase in my new little one's life, she loves to be snuggled and cuddled up close to me. When I hold her close and we are skin to skin, I can sense that she feels the ultimate security and comfort. I am sure this is the case with most infants and their parents. I am simply loving this phase in her life. I love how close she desires to be to me. And, as I look at my somewhat independent son, who turned six yesterday, it is a vivid reminder that as Zarryn grows, she will require less of this type of interaction and more of another. If it be in God's will, one day she will be all grown up and independent.

I began to ponder upon the complexity of our relationship with God. Unlike the flesh that matures and requires less of this new infant and mother interaction, our spirits should always remain in that comforting place. We should always long to feel God's spirit in us and the comfort of His arms wrapped tightly around and holding us securely.

Spiritual growth is actually the opposite of our physical growth. As a child grows, it becomes more independent. It begins to learn to do things for itself. As we grow spiritually, we should become more dependent. We should be able to rest in God's security and covering, while allowing Him to do things for us.

An infant cries because that is the inherited behavior that they have been given to use as a form of communication. They cry because they are unable to solve the problem independently. They communicate to us that something is wrong or uncomfortable in the request that we come and fix it. They have no other choice but to trust that someone who can aid them will come and fix the uncomfortable situation.

This is exactly how we should be with God. God wants us to surrender unto Him, who has the ability and the power to fix, or help us deal with, our current situations. Sometimes, we think we are so independent and forget about our parent, God. Therefore, He has to set up situations and send circumstances our way that we do not possess the power or strength to fix. We may have walked away and He is unable to feel our closeness any longer.

I desire to feel the closeness of my child as much as she does, if not more. God is just like we are as parents. He wants us to be close to Him. He wants us to connect with Him and allow Him to "parent" us! He wants to feel our hearts when we pour out to Him.

I could not imagine, if my children became adults and at the point where they thought they were all grown up and did not need me anymore, they would only call me when they did not have the resources to problem solve on their own. I would feel so used if they only called to borrow money, but not to just say hello and to tell me how much they love me.

I can only imagine how God may feel when we neglect Him! I know in my growth as a Christian, there have been times when I have been guilty of only praying when I was broke or my feelings were hurt. Thinking about our relationships with God this way, looking at Him as a parent, should put things into perspective for us.

How often do we talk to God...sincerely...and, how often are we asking Him for something? How often do we just talk to Him to let Him know how much we love Him for who He is and for what He has done for us? How often do we disappoint Him when He lends us His ear hoping to hear praises to His name, but only receives words of complaints?

I am typing now, nearly in tears just thinking about how I have treated my wonderful and kind Father. But the best part is...He forgives me and still loves me! Oh, how sweet!!! Even though I may have used Him and treated him disrespectfully, He still loves me. That is agape love! Unconditional and never fading. I MUST love my Father the same way that He loves me!

Thank You God! I Love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment